Picking up

Dear Friends,

First of all; a Big, No HUGE Thank You from the bottom of my heart for all the sweet and heartfelt messages you sent me following my last update. I am sorry that I have not responded to you all individually, but I can assure you that I am filled with gratitude and feel incredibly privileged that I am being carried and supported by this amazing community. 

And to the sweet soul who had the most glorious white orchid delivered to my post office for me; Thank you. I feel terrible that I have not been able to contact you, but there were no personal details on the card - perhaps deliberate? The orchid is still flowering profusely, and I thank you each and every time I look at it.  

My neighborhood and one of my favorite places to walk.

Last week, I started to think that perhaps it was time that I picked up where I left off…

A lot of my materials and equipment is already packed away, but I had deliberately kept a couple of things in the cupboard, thinking that I would need something to work on while ‘between houses’.

'Four Seasons in a Row' - Work in Progress

It then occurred to me, that it seemed appropriate to try and finish a piece I in my mind I refer to as: ‘Four Seasons in a row’ - a line of grapevines, through the seasons.

Looking back, it turns out it is almost a year since I last worked on it and picking it back up was more difficult than I had expected. For the first time ever, I looked at one of my own pieces and had really no idea where I was at, or more importantly what the plan was…
My written notes that were ‘floating about’ in the basket with the threads were very, very space to say the least, but surely I would have started writing the instructions in more detail…?

Checking the computer… No, not really.

'Four Seasons in a Row' - detail

So I just looked at it for a few days, wondering how I would get back to it. In the end, I decided the best thing to do was to sit down and just stitch. So I did. Strangely, once I had needle and thread in hand, the plans for the design slowly came back to me as I placed one stitch after the other. Before I knew it, I had finished the Summer vine.

'Four Seasons in a Row' - detail, summer vine

It has often occurred to me, that sometimes memories and knowledge is our hands as much as in our heads when it comes to creating.

'Four Seasons in a Row' - work in progress

This week, I would like to finish the branches and leaves of the autumn vine. The glorious colours of the autumn leaves are so wonderful and since all the leaves in the design are embroidered in exactly the same way using only fly stitch (I have deliberately not counted how many there are) it will be a real treat to stitch them in fabulous shades of yellow and burnt orange.




.. and I am picking up my Classes and Courses.

The Alpine Experience, Les Carroz, France

I have only recently confirmed my first course in what feels like ages. 

I am so excited to be heading back to teach a five day course at The Alpine Experience in France, 2nd – 9th, August 2023. It couldn't be off to a better start. This is such an amazing venue! Beautiful location, fabulous accommodation and the kindest and most organized hosts.

Teaching at the Alpine Experience 2018

I have not yet decided on a class project, but it is likely to be something with a bit of sparkle. 

Of course as always, with the luxury of five full days of embroidering together, you are welcome to choose from any of my designs. Bookings have just opened so if you would like to secure a spot, you can do so here: August 2023 embroidery course.

Before I leave you and get back to my stitching - Just a last little Housekeeping note;

I know some of you may have received this and my last update twice. That would be because you subscribe both the blog and the Newsletter Mailing list. Please don’t unsubscribe the Newsletter!

I have sent this and the previous update out in both places so that nobody would miss out, but I will be retiring (or moving) the blog. The reason is longwinded, so I won’t bore you with that. For now, to make things a little more simple for myself, I will only be using the Newsletter Mailing list. If you are already signed up, nothing will change, but if you are only following along on the blog, you might like to change to the email news, so you can continue to get my (irregular) news and updates.

I hope you you have a lovely weekend. Look after yourself and those around you.

Best Stitches,

Anna XX






Comments

Popular Posts