Mistletoe & Holly

I wish, I had thought of this earlier...


A few weeks ago I saw this beautiful Liberty Christmas print. The pattern of Mistletoe & Holly is just so pretty and the colours are so 'my favorite' - I couldn't help but buy a piece. 


It was not part of my plan to stitch any Christmas projects this year, and I really, really want to finish my Crewel embroidery, but Christmas is 'in a minute, so here I go...


I am going to make a pair of ornaments in raised embroidery. One will have a Mistletoe and the other a sprig of Holly. They are only small so (in theory) they shouldn't take too long to stitch and make. 
Above are the detached leaves for the Mistletoe. For these wee leaves, I have wired the edges because I didn't want a defined centre vein.
I am using shades of soft blue-grey Au ver a Soie stranded silk and a tiny touches of fine silver metallic. 


The Holly leaves are slightly larger. For these, I have wired the center vein - it would be way too difficult (read: near impossible) to get points on the edges of the leaves if I had to shape a wire along it. 
I had taken step-by-step photos on my phone (the camera died and I haven't bought a new one yet) with the plan of showing you how I did them. Sadly the photos are not all that good so I don't want to use them here. I did put them on Facebook and Instagram with a brief description, so you can see them there. 



I finished the main embroidery for the mistletoe today. As I said, it is only small - 6.5cm (2 1/2") in diameter. 


It is stitched on a very pale blue-grey silk, but for a bit of extra sparkle I have sprinkled tiny silver cross stitches over the back ground.


Here are the detached leaves next to the main piece. Now I need to decide how to make the berries.. pearl or silk-wrapped beads....?


On our morning walks, Tilly and I often meet a little koala - I have named him Karl. Most days, he will be sleeping in a tree but today we met him 'between trees'. They really are funny things, koalas. He wasn't too fussed at all by Tilly, as long as she wasn't too bouncy (which is really, really, really hard for a Kelpie). She even sat still for along enough for me to snap a quick pic. He even let her come close enough for a little sniff. She would never hurt him, but she did want to play and if you have ever seen the claws on a  koala, you will know that they can be an almighty weapon if they need to be. In the end, Karl was not one bit interested in playing chase and went up his tree. 

I hope you are all keeping safe and well wherever you are. 
Best Stitches,
Anna X


Comments

  1. Wow, beautiful fabric indeed, I think I couldn't resist it either ;). These new two designs are again gorgeous, Anna, I love the colors you chose, because they do remind me of winter, ice and the magical sparkles of the Christmas time!
    I loved seeing the koala and your dog, together on the picture. For me, an Eurpoean woman, it should be very odd to meet a kaloa next to the road, but also a very magical experience too. Thank you for photographing them!
    Stay safe, take care, dear Anna!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna! I can understand getting caught up in the Christmas designs! I usually catch that spark on Dec. 15th or so! LOL! By then I am overwhelmed with the Christmas Card and have no time for anything else. These are going to look gorgeous when done! I must learn how to do the raised needlework... it intrigues me no end! But for now I am enjoying petit-point and am completely addicted! The next project will be underway before the morning is over! Stay safe and keep stitching! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful picture of Tilly and Karl. It reminds me of visits to your beautiful country and searching for sightings of koalas. So sad to hear how decimated they have become since the fires.
    Hope to visit again one day when the world stops going mad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't resist either - the fabric is gorgeous. :)
    So are your projects. I can't wait to see finished pieces. :)
    Koala is super cute!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts