50 shades of green leaves

...bright green, apple green, grass green, olive green, grey-green, blue-green, yellow-green, khaki green, hunter green, jacobean green.......??????


I have a reasonably size stash of green silks, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is easy to get the right shade of green for a project.



I have a few favourite greens that I tend to gravitate to, shades of green, I know usually work well together. Getting the balance of greens just right is so important but for this project is was not quite as straight forward as I had hoped.
The background fabric is a quite yellow-olive-green, cheerful but not bright. It made blue-greens look more blue and yellow greens look more yellow and when mixing the two, well... let's not go there.

You can usually get a fairly good idea if a selection of colours and shades work, simply by placing them together onto the fabric, but with this lot, what seemed to work, did not work well, once stitched. After a fair bit of trail and error (read 'unpicking') I think, I eventually found a combination that works.                                                                       I have used: Au Ver a Soie, stranded silks: 3362 and 3714 for the stems and the centre veins of the leaves; and Madeira stranded silk 1311 together with Au Ver a Soie 1844 and 1603 for the leaves.  
Once the coloures were finalised I could get down to business and just stitch for a bit... bliss. 
There will be more leaves coming later. I got to this point and then realised I had done it again... 


The design is going to be too big for a comfortable two-day workshop. It is doable, but I really wanted something a little bit more manageable. So it was back to the drawing board to create a smaller version of this design. I will still complete this bigger one as well, but for the class, I will have an option for a more suitable project, teaching (almost) all the same techniques.


The next few days are going to be stinking hot in Adelaide, perfect for sitting inside, working on this. I had promised it to be ready before Christmas... I better get back to it.

Have a fabulous week,
Anna X

Comments

  1. I have quite a collection of green embroidery thread, and never the right shade when I'm looking for it. Getting it just right is so important for realism. I think you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan, you can never have too many greens, right?

      Delete
  2. Oh my, Anna, you have soooo many beautiful green shades of green, I'm absolutely sure I never could chose one, or two, of all these shades, they're amazingly beautiful! But I get your point of making a choice, color is so important, as the design is too.
    Good luck with the heat, Anna, for me this heat would be a disaster (health wise). Here, in The Netherlands, it's now winter, but: no snow, even no frost at nights and we will even get warmer temperatures tomorrow, we get 15oC!! In winter?! Not good...but for persons, who love to go outside, as me, it's great :D!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Kamelie, it worked out after a bit of trail and error.

      Delete
  4. Hi Anna! I feel your pain with the colors issues! Color is such a fascinating topic... there is no one way it IS... the light and the surrounding fields affect all colors...! I find it easier to adjust with paints.... but not always... it is amazing how difficult it can be to duplicate with pigments a color that you are "seeing" with your eyes! The same is true with threads... except that you need a Gazillion tiny variables to find just the right tones you are seeking! The project is looking lovely from where I sit! Don't give up! I learn a lot from your projects!!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anna, For some reason I am able to comment after not being able to for some time. I always come by to enjoy your posts so thank you for taking time to post.
    All the varieties of colour combine to bring your embroidery to life. You have a great talent.
    Enjoy Christmas.
    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna I hope you and family are safe following the fires and your property has not suffered devastation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts