Embroidered Edges, continued..

If you thought my post yesterday finished a bit abruptly you are absolutely right - it wasn't finished!
While I was writing, I suddenly thought of an idea for the corners and in my excitement to try it out right away, I accidentally hit the post button without realising it instead of saving it to finish later. Ups.


So this is what I did about those now very, shiny white corners. I made tassels.
I still had loads of yarn left and I thought that instead of making pompoms or separate tassels perhaps I could somehow make them straight onto the pillow.

First I tried to just add a few lengths of yarn at a time to large bodkin needle but it was too difficult to push it through the fabric in the corners.
I then used my awl to make a hole just inside the corner. Now getting the yarn through was easy as, so with a few different shades in the needle, I just kept tacking it through the hole as many times as I could.
Once I had packed as much yarn through the hole as I possibly could, I tied the bundle securely. Once the yarns were trimmed, the result was a tassel head that neatly covers that (nasty) bright white cover.


I think it is (finally) finished.


The kits for Mountain Oak are in the shop HERE. This one comes with 33 full skeins of Crewel yarn, so there is plenty for making embroidered edges and tassels.
I have recommended that this project is worked on a slate frame but I know they can be tricky to find and international postage can be frightfully expensive.
When I was in France, a few people had brought roller frames. They kind of worked, but just didn't hold the linen twill taut as I would have liked and had to be readjusted regularly. Although they are not ideal, it is doable if you make sure you tighten the fabric all the time. 

There are some new types of frames out there that tightens with various screwing mechanisms (like the Millnium frames) and they should be perfectly fine as they can withstand the strain of the fabric much better than the roller frames can. Mary Corbet had a really good (as always) tutorial and review on Needle 'n' Thread.

I did find this link on How to Make your own slate frame - just in case you or someone you know (I might have to have a serious chat to farmer John).


It has been a busy week and next week is looking to be just a crazy, so I am going to spend the rest of today and some of tomorrow getting a bit of dirt on my hands in the garden.

Best Stitches,
Anna xx

Comments

  1. The tassels finish it perfectly! I don't know why I didn't think of it... I kept staring at those corners yesterday and the only thing I could think of was "buttons"... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You create such beautiful embroidery pattern, Anna, I love your colorscheme. The result is absolutely gorgeous, the tassels are just the right finish for this pillow :)!
    Enjoy the hyacinths and other spring plants in your garden. For me in person this picture seems a bit odd, because we here, in The Netherlands, are going towards autumn, right after a summer with extreme drought and everything has already a very brown and 'burnt' look, so bad as we've never seen before ;)!
    Kind regards, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heaps Ilona. I was in Europe only a few weeks ago and could not believe how dry and warm it was everywhere. I hope you get some much needed rain during autumn.
      Anna x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts