Embroidered pictures: Lone Tree

Work in Progress...
Just a little bit of progress - there now is a tree.


I have quite a bit of writing and preparation to do for the embroidery course that I start the week after next - but I can't help but to steal a minute (or an hour) here and there...


The trunk and branches are quite high, padded with tightly packed perle cotton. The plan was to cover the padding with raised stem stitch, but I had to give up on that idea. The stitches holding padding are so tight it and the angles so steep it is impossible to slide the needle under without making a mess of it.


I am still using stem stitch - it gives such a smooth even surface - but I am having to take the stitches all the way to the back. The padding is tight enough so I don't loose any hight as long as I place one stitch over each couching stitch and don't pull it too tight. It is hard on the fingers and slow work. Still, seeing how it is coming along, it will be worth the effort.

Enjoy your week.
Anna X

Comments

  1. Hi Anna, I like the look that you already have on the third photo. I know that it's not finished but the none stem stitched areas actually give a wonderful texture to the tree. As if the bark of the tree is disintegrating in the harsh environment. Just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am liking the texture of the couched padding. When you see the windswept gums in the desert the are smooth - like driftwood. So perhaps another tree... in another picture... another time...

      Delete
  2. This is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna,
    This is inspiring! I've never wanted to any landscape stitching but the texture of the land and the raised tree are so beautiful I have changed my mind! I can't wait to see what's next!
    Liebe Grüße,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee thanks Kathy - let's wait and see how it turns out... If I have made anyone's fingers tingle to have a go I am happy!

      Delete
  4. I love how you are creating your trees by padding them with the perle cotton. I like how this gives the piece added dimension.

    I've recently started a weekly Stitchery Link Party for all things hand embroidered and I'd love to have you come link up this post so that my readers can come learn about this technique too.
    http://www.supermomnocape.com/2015/05/18/vintage-embroidery-monday-stitchery-link-party-6/

    If you've never participated in a link party before, I have a short tutorial available for how to do that. I do hope that you'll come join in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Susan. I had a look at the link party and joined in. What a great initiative and thank you for the invite. Anna

      Delete
  5. Hello Anna... I'm just popping back to thank you for linking up to last week's Stitchery Link Party! I do hope that you'll join in again soon. The party has been growing a little each week thanks everyone who has joined in the fun and linked up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts