Simple stitches

After a couple of really busy weeks writing instructions, drawing and working on patterns (not only my own but also those for the next issue of Inspirations magazine) I am back to doing what I love most - stitching! Remember this one...?

  

Since then I added a border to the Festival Flower and once Shelly Penko's fabulous fabric arrived from Spoonflower I made the piece into a small lined pouch that buttons on the back - perfect size for a tablet. 

 

Originally the piece was designed as a teaching project for the classes I have been invited to teach at Pak-ka-paohouse studio in Bangkok and Chang Mai in September (Soooo super, very excited!) - but on second thought, wool is really not the greatest fibre when it comes to humidity. 
Simply restitching the original design in cotton wouldn't work - the dimensions are all wrong and I know it would look terribly - so it was back to the drawing board. After letting the thoughts of change brew at the back of my mind for a week or so this is what emerged one late evening on a piece of scrap paper...


I really enjoyed stitching with these bright and cheerful colours and was determined too keep the selection of stitches similar to those of the crewel work version. 


I haven't worked in stranded cotton for some time but it is coming along well and I think it will look quite sweet when it is finished.


This piece is designed as an introduction to surface embroidery with a twist of Jacobean crewel work. It may look intricate but only uses six different and very basic surface embroidery stitches: Blanket stitch, Chain stitch, Detached chain (lazy daisy), Fly stitch, French knot, Stem stitch plus a basic couched trellis for that distinct Jacobean crewel work look.
I am really enjoying stitching it and hope the students will as well - beats doing a row by row sampler wouldn't you agree?

With only the flowers left to do, I am itching to get back to it.
Happy stitching,
Anna




Comments

  1. Oh, Anna! It turned out so beautiful! I'm coveting it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the original design, but the new one is super. As you say what a great way to teach beginners stitches, they also then get an idea of what can be done with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so nice to see your beautiful stitching in floss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. such beautiful work. The original, and the cotton version are beautiful and your use of stitches is always so clever. I bought the last Inspirations magazine based on your blanket being in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwa thanks Wendy that is so nice! I hope you will enjoy stitching the blanket I think it is my favourite (blanket) to date.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts