Honeysuckle stumpwork

It always surprises me how different my embroidery looks once I get a picture of it up on the computer screen. Seeing the various options for finishing the stumpwork honeysuckle, made it really quite easy to decide what to do. I also really appreciate all the feedback I got - seems you were all as divided on what to do next as I was.
There is something about a 'blank canvas' behind my designs that really doesn't sit well with me. I am not sure why. I do like that a design stands out, but at the same time the fabric it is stitched on is such an important part of the whole thing that I like it when I can merge them a bit. 
The spangles were just too big. Even though those in the picture are only 2mm (1/16") in diameter, I still felt they looked much too heavy and they drowned out the delicate stamens on the flower. The specs of gold were kind of getting there, but still were not quite right.

So what did I do...?


Well I did work tiny specs of gold, but I scattered the stitches a lot more (why is random scattering so difficult to get to look good?) and instead of simple tiny straight stitches I worked them as minute upright crosses which gives each little stitch a bit of dimension. 


I am really happy with the result. Sitting it onto my original mood-board, it blends in nicely I think. 

Now the only thing that didn't go quite to plan was that I had hoped to mount the little piece into a paperweight...
Well both the wired leaf and the bee will get completely squashed if I do that. I have still laced it over a round disc and it could go onto the lid of a small pot. The project is destined for a class later in the year, so for now I will be popping it onto a frame so it can go on display.

It is nice to have the small version finished. You may remember that on my sketch pad was a much larger version of a honeysuckle, so guess what I am doing next...

I hope you too had a lovely weekend.
Anna x

Comments

  1. Anna,

    Your choice of the gold background is perfect. It looks beautiful!

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the gold stitches really add a lot to the honeysuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Dianne and Cynthia - it always surprised me just how much even tiny little changes can make the overall look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the widely spaced gold specks are lovely indeed. How pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lyrique - I am glad you like my choice.

      Delete
  5. That looks so pretty! Is this for the class with the Embroiderers Guild of SA? If so, I've signed up for it, and can't wait to stitch the honeysuckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the project we will be working on. It should be fun. Look forward to meeting you then.
      Anna

      Delete
  6. I have just come across your blog and absolutely love it! In the piece above you have embroidered a 'bee'. Is there a way you can work a tutorial on how to make that bee? Is there a pattern of the bee available? Bees are my thing (bumble bees). Thank you for your wonderful blog..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah - firstly thanks for stopping by! It is always so lovely when people enjoy what I I do.
      I don['t have a pattern or tutorial for just the bee, but the instructions for the whole project is available in my Etsy shop both as a downloadable pdf and full kit. https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/AnnaScottEmbroidery?page=1

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts