It's a Juggle

Firstly - thank you so much for all the lovely and heart warming messages you have sent me. I am quite certain they have helped me recover.

I have a terrible habit of getting side tracked!!
A few months ago, while I was in the middle of packing class kits, I suddenly had an idea for a new raised embroidery figure and just had to sit down and draw this little fellow.


Despite being super busy preparing for Beating Around the Bush, I had managed to get the design ready. I started by resizing the sketch. It didn't need much but I want it to match the size of 'Over the Hills' and 'Drifting on the Breeze' so I had to scale the sketch down just a bit.

Over the Hills

Drifting on the Breeze

Since the clothing will be embroidered separately I then had to 'undress' the poor jester so that only the lines for the background and the position of his body will be transferred onto the main fabric.


I prefer not mark any design lines on the silk for my little people, so you will notice the main design is transferred as a mirror image to the back of the backing fabric below.


I then layer the backing fabric (calico or quilter's muslin) and background fabric (very pale yellow silk) and mount them onto my frame, nice and taut.
Once that is done, I work from the back, tacking along the design lines using a fine sewing thread the same colour as the silk. This transfers the lines to the front.


That was as far as I got. I was really, really looking forward to getting stuck into it....
then things got crazy and my neck and back gave way...
.... and not much has happened since. I have been absolutely itching to get back to it.

The good news is: I am finally feeling much better and am daring to start stitching again, YEAH!!!!
Before I can indulge in this piece I must finish another, very, very different project...


...a little piece of 'doodle stitching' (10 x 10cm / 4 x 4"). It was meant for my brother's big birthday in early November, but thanks to my back it is not finished... just as well he is not accustomed to getting cards and presents on time.

Happy Monday Stitches,
Anna X

Comments

  1. Sidetracked you say.......mmmm, who's not? I often am, I think every creative person is at times, isn't it ;O!?
    I absolutely adore these gorgeous figures/dolls on fabric, and thank you for showing us how you did transfer it all on fabric, it's pure magic!!
    I'm so happy to read that you're feeling better now.
    I'm sure that your brother does understand that your gift to him wasn't ready in time, but I do also understand that it's also disappointing for you that couldn't make it in time. Let your body heal well, Anna, and you soon can enjoy again your embroidery, take care!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilona. Yes if only our minds didn't work so much faster than our hands...!

      Delete
  2. Hi Anna! Being a new follower of yours I had not seen your little people before! They are Wonderful!!! I really look forward to seeing the process and am avidly watching all your techniques that you explain so well! I am still learning so many new things about needlework, even though I have been a sewer all my life! My skills are very rudimentary so I appreciate all your great teaching!
    I am very glad to hear you are healed enough to stitch again! YAY! (Just remember to relax enough....!) :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heaps! The may not be free standing miniatures but the size is almost 1;12 I think LOL. I am glad you are enjoying my stitching antics. What I love about most crafts is that there is always new things and ideas to learn and explore - everyone does things differently so we never stop discovering :-)
      PS: I stitch and type with a new assistant named 'egg-timer' set to 30 min at a time...

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing your steps on your new little person! Transferring designs is one of the things I dislike the most, and I’m always on the lookout for new methods!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts