Break Away

The saying goes: '.. a change is as good as a holiday...'
Having just come home after a fabulous 2 week break away, I will have to confess, I don't think anything quite compares to a holiday - no matter how good the change is.


Before the real break, I stopped by Canberra then on to Launceston and Hobart in Tasmania for workshops. I know, I have said this before, but one of the top perks of doing what I do, would have to be getting out and about to meet and spend time with dedicated stitchers in so many different places. I feel incredibly honored and privileged to be offered these opportunities.

A big thank you to 
... the the lovely group who joined me for an Introduction to Crewel Work in Canberra, stitching Blue Elegance and Autumn Gold.
... the wonderful Launceston group, taking part in 2 or 3 days of Raised Embroidery and making great progress on their Toadstools & Brambles and Superb Lyrebirds.
... the fabulous stitchers in Hobart, both those who made an epic start on Scarlet Glory and those who braved the large Mountain Oak in just two days.
... and not least to My Wonderful Hosts!
I hope you all enjoyed the workshops as much as I did. I hope to see you again some time and please, don't forget - I love photos...




Adrian met me in Hobart after the classes and the plan was to hit the road right away, BUT - we were both pretty tired. He from driving from Adelaide and catching the fairy across, I from the fabulously hectic week just passed.
So we stayed put in Hobart for a day and took in the (freezing cold) views from the top of Mt Wellington and then lingered around MONA (Museum of Old and New Art) in the afternoon. What a place that is! And surprisingly among all the very modern (and sometimes strange) art, we found two pieces of fabulously textured embroidery by Renate Rabus.

'Accouplement'  1989, Renate Rabus at MONA


Then we hit the road.
Tasmania is spectacular and we have photo after photo after photo.... 
We snaked our way from the South to the east coast


... across the midlands to Mt Fields and ..


... on to the temperate rain forests on the west coast.

We had planned to camp some of the time, but let's face it... it is still cold in Tasmania this time of year, so we chickened out and booked into B&B's along the way. The only exception was this fab, perhaps not to everybody's liking, little hut in the middle of Mt Field National park.


The weather was spectacular and we were joined by some unexpected dinner guests.

 

We walked... A lot.
Along beaches, and through forests.
Admiring all the green from the tiniest of mosses and ferns to the tallest of tall trees...

 

... through forests 
to the bottom of waterfalls and to the top of waterfalls. 


We got snowed on at Cradle Mountain...


... and made sure we stopped whenever we could to take in the views.


... and just as I was making note (complaining) that I had never seen a wombat in the wild, we spotted this guy and half a dozen of his friends.


It was the best break away we have had in a very long time. I don't think, I had realised just how much I needed it. 
Now I am ready to get back to work.
Step 1 - write a new To-Do-List... it is going to be a long one!

Have a lovely week everyone. 
Best Stitches,
Anna X

















Comments

  1. Hi Anna! So good to read you enjoyed your break so much! We often go on and on until we discover that we are quite tired, despite we do things we love. But I do completely understand your opinion about the workshops you have done with so many talented stitchers. I think it must feel like the feeling I have when doing my miniatures shows: feeling honored and privileged for getting the chance, but also for having fun with people, who are likeminded, as you are. I often compare this feeling with a sort of 'dope', allthough I never have used this stuff in my entire life, hehehe ;O.
    You're right: the two pieces of fabulously textured embroidery by Renate Rabus are true miracles, wow, what gorgeous artworks, never seen something like that before!!
    The photos you show us tell us the story of joy and so much pleasure and admiration for Mother Nature, thank you sooo much for sharing these with us. Every photo is a piece of art of itself.....maybe a new work of yours?? I guess it must have been overwhelming for being able to be there and admire this all in full rest? I like it when you say: I've never seen a wombat and HOPPA there he (or she) was :D!! And on top of the cake is that gorgeous picture of you, standing there, seeing this beautiful world. Treasure these great memories, who will last for ever!
    Warm hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ilona - yes, being passionate can become all-consuming. but a break and a rest makes me see things with fresh eyes and I am ready to dive back in head first.
      Hugs, Anna

      Delete
  2. I feel as though I have been on a little trip just reading along with you and seeing the beautiful scenery in your photos. What lovely reminders you have of your reinvigorating holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lyn, I am happy that I was able to 'throw a bit of holiday vibe' your way
    Hugs, Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! "Sew" much stitching!!! What a wonderful thing to be able to visit with so many dedicated needle-workers! The results are stunning! And then to have such a well deserved adventure in the wilds! I love the picture of that really tall tree... it is graphically awesome! And your smile tells how much fun you are having. I'm glad you got such a great break! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Betsy, it was so lovely. I can't remember when I last felt so relaxed. I think what I really love about road trips is that we tend to make it up as we go - that kind of freedom is such a rare asset in everyday life.

      Delete
  5. That's wonderful that you enjoyed your holiday! :)
    Thank you for sharing this amazing photos. These are places I can only see in TV. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts