Tuesday, April 25, 2017

We will remember them....


"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old; 
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. 
At the going down of the sun and in the morning 
We will remember them."


  ~ Lest we Forget ~

Friday, April 14, 2017

Dragonflies

I have just finished 'Over the Pond' - tying the last thread tail off just 10 min ago and wanted to share the result right away....


I am so happy with how it turned out. No matter how well I try and plan things and envisage how the result will be, I never really know until the piece is finished.
I am not quite sure what to do with it now. Perhaps it would make a really beautiful bag - what do you think?


I can now get on with preparing the notes and putting the kits together, but not now. Right now, I am going to head out into the glorious autumn sunshine and potter in the garden and play with the puppy.

I wish you all a Happy and safe Easter,
Best stitches,
Anna

Monday, April 10, 2017

WIP Dragonflies ...

I have been beavering away on 'Over the Pond' all weekend and am now ready to start stitching the three dragonflies.  Because the design is kind of symmetrical, I have been working systematically from the centre out and finishing one element of the design at a time before moving onto the next.


First the buttercups. Long & Short stitch petals, with pistil stitch stamens and a little group of tiny gold beads for a bit of spakle.


Next up, the leaves.
I know my general rule is to always start satin stitch in the middle of a shape as I showed HERE. But, as with most rules, there are exceptions and long, slender leaves (or shapes) like these are one of them. Here, I use the satin stitch diagonally across the full width of the leaf and I use the angle of the lower edge of the leaf for the direction of the stitches:

NARROW SATIN STITCH LEAVES

1. I bring the thread to the front at the bottom point of the leaf, then take the needle to the back, placing a straight stitch along the lower edge.

2. The first stitch covers the line to the point the shape of the leaf begins to curl.
I place the next stitch parallel to the first.




3. By maintaining the same stitch direction along the length of the leaf, the satin stitch will naturally fall diagonally across the shape.

4. When you get the the top, the last stitch will fall along the upper drawn line.
If the leaf curls a lot at the top, I will add one or more shorter stitches to finish.
The main thing is to maintain the same angle of the satin stitch all the way to the top.



I used just two shades of green for the leaves. The reflection of light on the satin stitch, make it appear as if I have used more shades and give the leaves movement.


Round and fat padded satin stitch buds and stem stitch stems, complete the foliage and this is where I finished last night...


When I stitch at night, I am always curious to see if my project looks as nice the next morning as I felt it did when I went to bed. At times I get back the next day, look at it in daylight and wonder what on earth I was thinking the night before, before I start the day 'reverse stitching'.
Not this time - I am happy. It is coming along nicely.
Now it is time for some brilliant turquoise dragonflies....

Happy Monday,
Anna


Wednesday, April 5, 2017

New projects...

The colouring in is finished..



I don't often do this, but it has been an interesting little exercise to get an overview of how it will work out.
I am sure there will be plenty of changes....



I am simply itching to get my hands onto these yarns and start embroidering this project, but
(1) I am waiting on fabric and more importantly.....


(2) the fabric for the dragonflies has finally arrived. I was set on a certain colour and had a bit of trouble finding it a suitable weight. I could have used a homespun (broadcloth) but then I would have to back it to support the stitching so I really wanted something a heavier and closely woven to avoid that. I finally found a beautiful cotton, but have been waiting for more than 4 weeks for it to arrive....

I am teaching this project at the beginning of May, so I must confess I was beginning to get a little anxious... It did finally arrive late last week.... but we have been harvesting, so I have not had time to get anywhere near it until today.

The plan now is to get the embroidery finished in the next week or so - nothing quite like a tight deadline! It will be nice to get back onto this project. The little sampler I did only had a single dragonfly and flower, just to test colours and stitches, so it will be nice to watch the larger design of three dragonflies Over the Pond take shape and I am looking forward to stitching it.

Best stitches,
Anna